If you follow me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/fitnessdynamicsnz) you will see that I have been building myrelationship with salads back up, and falling in love with them all over again. A lot of people turn to salads when working towards a healthy lifestyle, and a lot of people also get bored with them very quickly. But this boredom happens because they stick to the boring old lettuce, tomato, and cucumber. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of those ingredients, but there is so much more to eating healthy. Think about making your salad a rainbow of colour, a bowl overflowing with nutrients. There really is no limits to what you can create. Think vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, good fats, and a protein source. Hands down, one of my favourite and easy salad recipes is this Kumara Chickpea salad…and so far everyone who has tried it, had given the thumbs up.
Serves 4 (note photo is a serving for 2)
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 large orange kumara
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- 50g feta
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Peel and chopped kumara into small pieces and place on a lined baking tray.
- Drain chickpeas and pat with paper towels to remove as much moisture as you can. Add to lined baking tray.
- Cover kumara and chickpeas with olive oil and sea salt, and bake for 20 minutes. (You can chook extra and keep the kumara in your fridge and chickpeas in an airtight container, so it is quick and easy next time).
- Place spinach, kumara, chickpeas, chopped red onion, chopped feta, and sunflower seeds in a salad bowl and mix well.